CHICKEN ALA KING
Chicken ala king is a dish that has been around since the early 1900s. It was created by an unknown chef who served it at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City. The recipe caught on quickly among elite circles, and soon became one of America’s favorite dishes. These little bread cups filled with left over turkey or chicken bathed in a flavorful sauce brings me back to my mom’s kitchen. Back in the day when there was still regular Sunday evening church services my parents would often invite a group of their friends or new comers over for a light lunch after the service.
During the afternoon mom would put our her best dishes and get things ready. It is one of the things she would serve. along with veggies and dip, pickles and of course something sweet. Chicken Ala King is traditionally made with chicken, onion, butter, flour, salt and pepper with some milk or cream added to make a creamy sauce. In this blog post we will be making Chicken Ala King using tender juicy chicken breasts for all you health nuts out there!
For you to be Interested:
This dish is perfect for any occasion whether you’re having dinner alone or hosting a party! It’s easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time so your guests can enjoy it when they arrive without waiting too long in anticipation! You’ll love how flavorful this dish tastes as well as its rich texture from the creaminess of the sauce. Plus it only takes about 30 minutes total to cook up which makes it perfect for those busy weeknights where you don’t have much time but still want something delicious for dinner!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, thinly diced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream (or milk)
- 1/2 tin cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups chicken or turkey, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
- Melt butter. Add onions and celery, and saute until translucent.
- Sprinkle with flour and stir to absorb butter.
- Add chicken stock, cream and soup. Stir well and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Add meat and peas. Simmer another 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, cut crusts off bread and press slices into muffin tin forming little bread cups.
- Toast in 400º oven for 8-19 minutes. When toasted, remove to plate and fill with sauce. Serve immediately. Yields 4 servings.
Deserve to Try:
If you’re looking for a new way to spice up your life then give this recipe a try today! Have yourself an amazing meal that will leave everyone wanting more (and asking what else you’ve got cooking)! So go ahead and get started because these flavors are sure not going