This Chickpea Stew is perfect for those days when you want to eat something warm and comforting. It’s also great if you’re trying to cut back on meat or just need some variety in your diet. The slow cooker does all the work so it’s easy to make this recipe – just dump everything in the pot and let it cook! You’ll love this recipe because it tastes amazing, is super simple, and has only 7 ingredients. Plus, there are no pots or pans to clean up after dinner! Just throw everything into your Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker before heading out for the day and come home to a delicious dinner waiting for you.
There is something about turning the calendar page over to September that makes me think “hearty” food. Warm, spicy and filling stew but not heavy or loaded down with calories. It’s so good and good for you.
- 1 pound dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), washed
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 4 medium large tomatoes, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 – 4 tbsp no salt added tomato paste
- 2 medium sized potatoes, diced (use a good boiling potato like yukon gold)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups liquid from cooking the beans
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Soak the beans overnight in 6-8 cups cold water. Drain and cook, covered, in 6 cups water for 1 hour or until tender. Drain, retaining 2 cups cooking liquid.
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot heat the olive oil and saute the onions and garlic over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, stir and then add the tomatoes and bay leaf. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, reserved bean liquid and cooked chick peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the tomato paste to thicken.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Makes 12 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 188, Cal. from Fat: 29.5, Total Fat: 3.5g, Sat. Fat: 0g, Carbs: 32.5g, Fiber: 8.5g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 9g, Sodium: 170mg, Chol: 0mg
This stew will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator. It also freezes really well.
The recipe is a lifesaver for busy families because it’s so easy to prepare. Set it and forget it with this simple slow cooker recipe that will make your house smell amazing all day long!
Chickpea Stew is the perfect dish for those who are looking to add more protein and fiber into their diet. It’s also great for vegetarians because it contains no meat. This stew has tons of flavor with just the right amount of spice that will leave your mouth watering for more! You’ll love this slow cooker recipe because it’s easy to prepare – just dump everything in the pot and let the slow cooker do all the work while you go about your day. Plus, there’s nothing better than coming home from a long day at work or school to find dinner already made! Give this recipe a try today by clicking on our ad below.
This stew has all the flavors of fall in one bowl, plus you can prep everything the night before and dump into the slow cooker when you wake up. It’s healthy, hearty, but also light enough for spring or summer. Plus there are tons of leftovers if you’re lucky! The result is a healthy, hearty meal that’s packed with flavor – exactly what you’re looking for in a stew!